More spun fiber

This past Saturday was spent taking a Fiber Prep class. It was fabulous fun and we were able to play with all kinds of fiber tools. Such as: carding combs (flat and curved), pet brushes, hair combs, detangle combs, hackle combs, hackle, a diz and two different carders. All of that packed into 5 hours. One word......fabulous!!!

I 've also been busy spinning on the Hansen. Both of these were from braids that I purchased at Stitches in April 2011. Both are chain-plied.


This one was purchased from Creatively Dyed Yarn. She has beautiful work, both in hand dyed yarn as well as fiber. This is from a 4 oz braid of 20% cashmere, 20% silk and 60% merino. Total of 380 yards.
This next one was purchased from Jazz Turtle Creations. This 4 oz braid is a combination of alpaca, merino and mulberry silk. The precentages of each were not on the tag. Total yardage came to a little over 400 yards.

A long term project that I am involved in is the mini mitred square sock yarn blanket. This is a project that I keep in my purse at all times. It's done on small dpn's, maybe 4-5 inch long, size 3, so they don't take up much room and anytime I'm stuck somewhere, they are easy to pull out of my purse and work on. They don't take much brain power and I always have leftover sock yarn. Some of my knitsibs have even given some leftover sock yarn to me. I did an inventory today of what I had completed and I have 50 small squares done. I'm not even a quarter of the way there, but that's ok, I'm in it for the long run. Showing my squares so far:

Comments

Kathy... said…
what a fun day you must have had! Your yarns are gorgeous. I really like doing a chain-ply, plus I love the final results.
Rebecca said…
your spinning is beautiful wtg
LeAnn said…
Spinning, carding, chain-plying...it's like a whole new language! I love both the yarns you spun from your Stitches haul---especially the one in pinks and oranges (big surprise).
Sarah said…
That fiber prep class sounds like so much! My LYS is pretty good in that it has spinning fiber and supplies, but I really wish it were more of a spinning store and offered classes in prep, etc.