The Help, thank you, spinning and knitting

First I would like to say thank you to all of you who wished me well with my bad knees. They are something I have to live with and usually do ok, but sometimes one or both get angry and inflamed and force me to slow down. (not a bad thing sometimes, right?)

Last year, one of my most favorite books that I listened to was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was a fabulous listen, the voices were different for each character and the accents and inflections were superb. When I love a book so much, I hesitate to see the movie because it seems I get disappointed with the results. I was told by several friends who also loved the book that the movie was great. So, I did it. I went to see it with Christina who also loved the book. The movie was fabulous. The actresses who portrayed the "help" as well as the ones who played the "southern bitches" all did a fabulous job. I see some Oscars coming.

On to some spinning and knitting updates:

This fiber was purchased at the Dickson Fiber Festival in May 2011. Yep, I actually spun something I bought this year. It is a merino/seacell fiber from Frabjous Fibers. This was not a fun spin, it was packed too tightly which made it very hard to draft. I love the end result though so I guess it was worth it. I ended up with a little over 200 yards on a 4 oz skein so I'm thinking maybe a cowl or neckerchief, I haven't decided yet. I tried to spin this one a little thicker from what I normally spin. I think I achieved the result I wanted.

This was spun on the Hansen MiniSpinner and plied as a 2 ply.

This one is a Merino/Tencel combo from Daily Fibers. I love her stuff, spins like butter. Again, a little over 200 yards.

It was Navajo plied.


As for knitting, I have 3 1/2 inches done on the Arianna shell. I just love the diagonal look that's achieved with slipping 3 stitches with yarn in front. I'm enjoying the pattern and I think it's going to look pretty cool.

This little guy (Hoodie) is done and he's blocking. I need to add buttons and it'll be good to go. This is knit with Plymouth Coffee Beenz, a good soft washable arylic, perfect for a toddler.

Comments

Kathy... said…
I totally agree with you regarding both the book and the movie of The Help. Totally enjoyed it.

Lovely fiber, and of course your spinning is beautiful.

Hope your knees are better, and stay that way a for a while. My Hubbs has bad knees. I know it's no fun!