Stash Busting

First, I hope everyone had a very happy holiday. My DH had to work all through the weekend, so I had a very quiet, but happily knitting and spinning weekend.

I have been working on some charity lap blankets and that has helped get through some of my Caron Simply Soft stash that I purchased years ago. That stuff makes really nice lap blankets. It's soft, durable and most importantly, washable. Threads of Kindness is a little group of knitters and crocheters and we make preemie blankets and hats and adult size lap blankets. Most of our donations go to Alive Hospice but we also donate to Vandy NICU. Christina is very charitable with her time and organizes all of this, even in delivering the items. We do get lots of donated yarn but it's good to stash bust yourself. I found the Simply Soft doubled and then crocheted with that huge crochet hook about the size of your thumb goes quite fast and makes a cushy blanket. The lap size blankets are about 30"x 30". I've donated a couple already but I didn't take pictures, except in my head.

Other things I've been working on......I finished knitting the Summer Flies Shawl in the Asland Trends alpaca. I still need to block it. I also knit the first of a small triangle is some purplish Koigu, modeled after something I saw on display at a LYS. I think the sample was made on a large Triangle Loom, but I think I can mimic it somewhat. I had purchased this Koigu to make a twirly scarf, it was supposed to take only one skein. Near the end of the skein, I realized the pattern was wrong and it couldn't be done in one skein, so I purchased another. Near the end of the second skein, realization hit that it wouldn't be enough, so I purchased the 3rd. After finishing the scarf, I realized I didn't like it. So I frogged the whole thing and now I had 3 skeins of purplish Koigu. So I am making use of it. Pictures to come later.

Although I've done a good job in oganizing the hobby closet, I still have way too much stash. I'm working through on what to do with it all. Lists are being made, no timelines though, that would just add unneeded stress. My LYS is having a huge 50% off sale that I'm telling myself to stay away from, mainly because I have nowhere to stash it.

I've managed to clean the area around my sewing machine, so I will be working on some tops, generally for work. They are basic tops that I can accessorize with my shawlettes.

That's it for now. I'll be posting again at the end of the year.

Comments