Stitches and Arrington Vineyards

This is the first time blogging with Google's new blogging format. Not sure if I like it yet. I'm not able to get fast-internet where I live and this new format seems to take alot more bandwidth.

Ever since Stitches South made its first appearance in Atlanta, I've been there, for all 4 days. I chose not to go this year for a couple of reasons. One, my knees just weren't cooperating enough to walk around a hard concrete floor and I've also chosen to go to a spinning retreat instead. It's in Monteagle, so it's a little closer and should be relaxing.

A small group of knitsibs went to Arrington Vineyards on Saturday the 21st. It ended up being a very cool day for Nashville and rainy. I think the high was 51-54, very cool for us in April. So, instead of being able to sit outside, we were relegated to sitting under a tent with clear plastic sides. While it made it warm enough, the din was extremely loud. People congregated in parties tend to make you want to talk and laugh, but we ended up having to yell to be able to hear one another. A little unpleasant. However, we had a good time, drank some "knitting water", had some sustenance and some good knitting time.

In honor of Stitches (which was going on the same weekend), I cast on another Baktus with yarn I purchased last year at Stitches, Ironstone Sky. I used 2 skeins and a 10.5US needle. I finished it in a 24 hr period. Great fast knit.

I also finished the Baby Sweater. I love the way it turned out. I practiced a few finishing techniques and I'm pleased with them. The sleeves are finished in 3x1 ribbing. It still looks like stockinette but it keeps it from rolling. I also bound off with the modified picot edge I learned at Stitches last year. Bind off 2, chain 2, bind off 2, chain 2 around. I didn't block the picot edges though because that wasn't the look I was going for. Just makes it looks a little ruffly. Then as to the bottom of the sweater, I had originally planned on a rolled edge. I didn't like it. I then picked up stitches from the right side to continue stockinette in order to seam it. Didn't like that either. Then I picked up the stitches from the wrong side which made a nice clean edge, I knit in the round for about 4 rows, then bound off. Seamed it then and I love it the look.
Another finished project is another Summer Flies Shawlette in a worsted weight this time. Shocker for all, it's in turquoise. I know there is a pattern going on here. I don't have a picture of it yet, but I'll get one and get it posted.

I've been working on some long-term projects too.

The Pie Wedge Shawl in Cherry Tree Hill Lace Suri Alpaca. I'm using size US7 needles. That makes it very light and airy.  I'm still amazed at how lightweight it is and when I lay it across my lap, it's so warm.  It's going to be a great shawlette.  I only cast on 82 stitches rather than the 102 that the pattern calls for. 


I'm still working on a couple of items.  One is the Tee for Two that I'm doing in a pale yellow Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I've got the front panel done and working on the back. Once the back is done, I will be picking up stitches and then knitting very long rows from front to back. I don't know if I'm looking forward to that.  I'm also still working on the shell in that interesting stitch pattern. I need to get back to it.

That's it for now.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Great projects! I love the 3x1 ribbing tip to keep edges from rolling. That's a really good one!

LeAnn said...

Love ALL of your turquoise projects. :) Arrington looks like a fun time. Will have to join you one of these days.

Christina said...

It was nice to get out, hear some music, knit with friends, drink a little wine, have a snack and test our vocal skills. Fun afternoon...a do over.