Week in review and supported spindling

Going clockwise, starting in the left top corner:
1. Year of Colour
2. Tubular scarf knit with handspun
3.  Spinning colorful end pieces with my Hansen Minispinner
4.  My first supported spindle

1. Reposting the Year of Colour above because a post I had done previously is gone.  Yearofcolour.com takes your Instagram pics from the past year and compiles all the colors from the post into this colorful circle.  Mine shows a lot more brown than I actually use and I think it's because they take all the data from your photos to compile the picture. So if you take the picture above with the Hansen as well as the supported spindle, you can see there is brown in both of those pics. So it's not really a good depiction of the colors of your projects, be it knitting, spinning, quilting, etc.  But it was fun to see.

2.  Tubular scarf in handspun.  I have been working on a tubular scarf knit with sock yarn leftovers.  It is fun and I will continue to work on it, but I love knitting with my handspun so I started another tubular scarf with a ball of my handspun. I love it.  I work on this during lunch at work.

3.  My very first supported spindle.  I have been using drop spindles and turkish spindles, but, as I age, my shoulders (especially the left one) yell at me so I find I can't spindle very long. When I first started spinning in 2009-10, I had tried a supported spindle and just could not grasp the concept. So, to limit the issue of my shoulders, I thought I would try support spindling again. I bought my first supported spindle and bowl from Maine Fiber Tools and it took a good hour to quit jerking it onto the floor.  I was determined to be successful at it so I was not going to give up.  I have quite a bit of fiber spun on it now, this was just the first night.  These supported spindles (or any spindles for that matter) are a slippery slope as they are soooooo beautiful and feel wonderful in your hands, that you just want more of them. I went to Rav and looked at the Forum for Spindle Candy. Oh my.....the de-stash page had some wonderful spindles. Some were out of my price range, but I did snag a few.  Pics forthcoming.  I'm just so excited.

4.  Spinning on the Hansen is so meditating. I enjoy it tremendously. I enjoy spinning from purchased braids, but I love spinning dyed ends that are sold by the pound. Most of the ones I buy are BFL ends and they are so colorful and fun. I pick the colors randomly and spin to my hearts content. The dyed ends are in the bowl to the right of the spinner.

That's all for this week.

Comments