Blog intentions gone awry and some fiber play

Where does the time fly??  I have good intentions of blogging more often, but I find myself actually doing more fibery things rather than getting on the internet.  I believe staying off the internet is a good thing because we don't realize what a time-sucker it is.  But alas, it's time to update what I have been up to.  I probably won't capture it all, let alone with pictures, but I'll try.

So, I recently purchased a needle-felting attachment for my Brother PQ sewing machine.  It has 4 felting needles so it's nice and compact and let's me get into small areas.  With my 3 day work holiday this weekend, I was able to try it. I really had a lot of fun.  Kind of a nuisance to put it on the machine (mostly trying to find the right screwdrivers that would fit) but the more I do it, the better I'll get at it.  After some practice of moving the fabric around and what I could attach to it, here's my 1st attempt at a final product and I really like it.  It's going to be a going-away gift so I won't keep this first one.

This is the needle attachment and the sampling. I attached bits of yarn, fabric and of course the fiber, which is the main thing that binds to the base fabric. 
 

This is the back side which looks pretty interesting as well.

As for knitting and crocheting, I finished the TTLMystery Shawl.  It's a Mystery KAL from Through the Loops (TTL), 6 weeks long, so 6 clues.  It's an asymmetrical shawl. I really like the colors, just not sure I'll wear it.  It still needs blocked.
I've finished 2 lap blankets or baby blanket, one knit in the round and one crocheted in the round.
The one on the left is knit in the round with sock yarn leftovers.  Good way to use up stash.  The one on the right is crocheted in a granny square pattern with the Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop.  One big ball of yarn with 1117 yards.
I also crocheted some socks. Simple pattern, basically crocheted in the round, when you get to the heel, you crochet a chain around your ankle and continue up the leg.  Then go back and finish the heel while decreasing.  I love them!




Next up is the Arne & Carlos Primrose Garden.  I'm using the Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop and letting the flowers develop as the yarn comes off the ball. I'm not pre-planning.





On the spinning front, I've acquired some support spindles.  Haven't been doing much spinning, but that time is coming.
The one on the left is a spindle, with bobbins. I bought this from a guy in Germany and I think it's G.E.N.I.U.S!!!!  That's one of the issues of Spindling, whether it be drop or support.  The plying and un-tangling of singles spun.

The one on the right I purchased on a recent trip to The Woolery. It's a British coin and I bought a ceramic bowl for it as well. Love them both!!

Speaking of the Woolery, I looked at weaving looms there.......yummmmmmyyyyyy!  One will be purchased in the new year!

While in Lexington, we sampled some beer at the local breweries.  I believe we hit 4 total.





In between the 2nd and 3rd place, we found this wonderful coffee shop.  The building was brightly painted (think of a '68 VW bus) and it caught our eye as we were parking.  This is the quaint little corner where we sat and drank our coffee.  Now, if you were in Italy, they would have served your coffee in a real cup, not a paper one, but it was lovely and quaint and I loved it.  The inside of the coffee shop was as colorful as the outside.


As for weaving, I did set up a new warp on the Rigid Heddle Loom (RHL) yesterday.

 That's it for now, although I cast on for a new shawl last night.  More to come.

Comments

captainhook said…
Wow, you’ve been busy! (Applause, applause!)