Inkle Weaving

I think I've fallen through the Weaving rabbit hole.

It started back in 2009 when I purchased the Cricket Rigid Heddle Loom.  This is a wonderful loom to get started on weaving. It's easy to warp, easy to do plain weave and there are several books out there (and classes on Craftsy, now Bluprint) on how to do pickup weaving for even more weaving choices besides plain weave.  I made several scarves on this loom and enjoyed the portability.

Fast forward to 2013 when I had knee replacement. I bought the Zoom Loom which was another wonderful portable project. I still enjoy weaving with it to this day.

As retirement got closer, I knew I wanted to venture to a multi-shaft loom. I did a lot of research, which included some introspection, and finally decided on a table loom, the Louet Jane. I purchased it in March and I've already woven quite a few things on it and love it. It's 8 shafts so will provide ample learning possibilities.

This month I purchased the Ashford Inklette loom. How fun this little inkle loom is. It could have a wider base for stability, but it is oh so portable and fun to weave on.  I've already woven 3 bands.

I finished this one just in time for Memorial Day. Make America Great Again!!!!  This one is using Hobby Lobby's Artiste 100% mercerized egyptian cotton. It's a #10, so still pretty fine thread but not as much as the previous band.



I found in my first attempts that I really didn't have the correct thread to do these bands. I have added to my crochet cotton stash. Yep, more stash to store. heehehee!  These are Hobby Lobby brands and they come in delicious colors, I bought every color I could find, and they were 30% off the day I went.  They are 100% mercerized egyptian cotton #10.


Here are my first 2 bands. Still learning to work on my selvedges and keeping the same width throughout.  Assuming this will happen with more practice.

This first one is using some cotton yarn on hand, probably not the right stuff to use but I was learning.
 

This one is using some perle cotton thread I had on hand. It's #12, which refers to the size of the thread.  The larger the number, the finer the thread.

Comments