Planning my new Creative Studio

I have been planning my new creative studio for awhile now.  At least since last summer, if not before.  A lot of things went into the decision process.

  1. Did I want my own "she-shed"?  After much thought, the answer to that was No.  Why No? Because I'm a pansy. Unlike my husband (DH), who works out in his shop everyday, he doesn't need to have AC and heat.  He turns on a fan or has his spot heater and he's good.  Not me. I need cool air and I need to be warm enough. We keep our house cool in the winter, so I at least have sweat clothes on, but 35-50 degrees? No.  
  2.  So, the next question was......why not build a she-shed, insulate it, then add AC/heat?  Because that would cost more money than I was willing to spend and that would have cut into my retirement money and I didn't want anything to interfere with my retirement date.  I had my priorities :-).  Which paid off since I am retired!
  3. OK, so first decision was made. In the house for sure.  I already had half of a room as my hobby room. The other half belonged to DH.  That was plenty when we first moved into the house because I mostly sewed and did some crochet.  Well now, 19 years later.......I sew, quilt, weave, spin, knit and crochet, as well as knit on a knitting machine.  All of that cannot be contained in one-half of a room.  So, I've spread out into little pieces in other rooms. I knit/crochet mostly in the evening in the living room, so that's ok.  But the space required to use, not just store, sewing machine(s), knitting machine, weaving loom(s), spinning, and space needed for quilting was seriously lacking.  So, the only alternative was the bedroom next to the current hobby room, which was currently being utilized as a workout room, which like everyone else, gets used sporadically.  We would go through spells and workout with the weight equipment and then we wouldn't. The cardio machines are in the living room, so that didn't get affected.
  4. So, now the planning of the removal of the workout equipment to the husband's shop.  Some grumbling but not too bad. He knew I needed more space. So we moved the heavy equipment out to this shop in October 2018.  
  5. Then I had to eliminate stuff from 2 of those plastic stackers being used for storage.  (we lack storage area in this house, probably a good thing).  The remaining workout stuff (bars, gloves, dumbbells, notebooks, etc) and other items were removed by end of March 2019. 
  6. Meanwhile, I was planning my new studio in Excel.  I watched lots of YouTube videos on sewing rooms, quilting rooms, craft rooms, etc.  Got loads of ideas.  I would show plan to DH and he would offer some ideas. I played around with them a little and then we re-grouped again.  A few more ideas from him and played around with that as well.  I finally settled on a design and the furniture by end of December. After many iterations before December, I haven't made any big changes. I may have added a piece of furniture (or not), but no changes to the placement of the furniture since December. That tells me that I'm probably pretty happy with it.
  7. The room is 11' x 14'.  It has one big window, which unfortunately is in full sun from noon on. Gets pretty hot in the summer. So I will have to cover it with some heat-barring curtains as we did in the office.
  8. The room will be furnished with Ikea furniture. I mix of the Kallax shelving system, Alex drawers (5 drawer and 9 drawer), some tabletops on the 5 drawer sets, and some other misc stuff.  We'll be heading to Ikea in the next week or two, and then DH will be very kind to put them together for me. 
The below pic from Excel is what I have planned.  When it's time to quilt I will utilize the 4 ft table beside the sewing and knitting machine table to give me extra room to lay it  out.
The Kallax shelves and the lovely Krona boxes will provide storage for WIP's, be it sewing, quilting or knitting. The other hobby room, which connects through the bathroom, will retain most of the storage it currently holds, other than sewing notions, etc, which will be housed in the Alex drawers under the tabletops by the window. This room will be used as the "working and creative zone" and not a storage room.  Hold me to that ok??

I'm very pleased with the current layout and I'm getting very excited about it.  I can't get to my sewing machine because of the stuff I had to put into the current hobby room and my fingers are itching to do some quilt piecing.

So pics will be forthcoming of the new room, but it may be another 2 months.
Patience will be rewarded!

Comments

I'm looking forward to seeing your new space develop and your using it. Exciting for sure!